Five for Friday!

I haven't linked up for Five for Friday in a long time.  In fact, I had to go look and check.  Last time was November.  {Insert my sad face here}  I don't know why it has been so long, but I hope I never stray away this long again.


First off, I have to say that this week has been crazy with a capital C.  I know you don't want all the details, but here is an overall gist:  super sick daughter, LOTS of meetings, started TWO grad classes, and a workshop.  I was really looking forward to Friday and this long weekend to be here.  


This week we have been studying arctic animals.  In particular, we have been studying polar bears and walruses.

We made Deanna Jump's polar bear craft, but then I added my own polar bear fact writing prompt to it.  I love how they turned out.




We had to have a fun polar bear snack.  I wanted to make something that required very little prep on my part because I just didn't have a lot of time this week.  This is what we made:


All you need is one Oreo cookie, two mini-marshmallows, and three chocolate chips to make this super simple snack.  The best part was we already had mini-marshmallows at home because my kiddos love to eat them.  We also had chocolate chips because I always have some in the freezer.  (Shhh....don't tell anyone though.)


The students just opened their Oreo and placed the marshmallows and chocolate chips on their cookie.  All that was left was to eat it.  They loved it!  So yummy and so easy!


The very unit I ever purchased from TpT was Deanna Jump's Arctic Animal unit.  I purchased it and a whole new world of blogging and TpT opened up to me.  I am so thankful I happened to stumble upon that unit!  

Anyways, this is the third year I am using that unit because I love it so much.  One of my favorite activities is reading "Tooth Trouble" and making text to self connections.  Here is one of my little sweeties' connections to the text.


For some reason it is a little hard to read, but this is what it says:  "I was worried when I was going down a slide.  Water got in my eyes."  I thought this one was so funny.  Loved it!



Today I went to another Kagan Cooperative Learning Workshop.  I have been to so many I have lost count.  Why do I go to so many workshops on the same thing?  Because they are just that good.  I learn something new each time.  Cooperative Learning is one of the best ideas I have ever implemented into my classroom.


This is probably my most favorite thing that happened this week so I saved it for last.  :)

I have this little boy in my class......let's call him Woody.  (He LOVES Woody from Toy Story)  Anyways, Woody can be a little challenging some days, but this kid just cracks me right up.  My students had earned a popsicle party from filling up our sweet behavior board.  Yesterday was the day for the party.  I bought freezer pops.  Before I handed them out I gave the speech.  You know the one.  You get what you get speech.  I also told them that if they complained about the color of popsicle they received then they did not get a popsicle.  Woody was the last one to get a popsicle.  I grabbed an orange one out of the bag without looking.  I had hear him previously say he wanted another color to his friend.  He saw the color was orange and instead of getting upset which I totally thought he would.  He said to me, "Mrs. Pauley, I am so happy I got orange.  Guess what?  Now it's my favorite color.  I LOVE orange!"  I was so proud of him for being so thankful for what he got.  It just warmed my heart and his comment made me crack up!


How was your week?  Link up with Doodle Bugs and tell us all about it!

And don't forget that this weekend (Saturday through Monday night) I will be participating in a Facebook freebie hop.  Make sure you like my Facebook page {here} so you can get all the info and your freebie.  :)

1 comment

  1. Looks like you had a fun week! :) I am way too tired to link up tonight, but we had a great week back- felt like week 2 we were finally back on track! I LOVE your Oreo snack, I wish I had seen it earlier this week (we're on Arctic animals as well). Have a good weekend Amanda!

    ~Jessica
    Fun in PreK-1 & Kinder

    ReplyDelete