Someone touched the ELF!!

Ahhhhhhhh……..I couldn't believe it!  A student touched the elf even though we kept talking about how no matter what we could NOT touch the elf or he would lose his magic.

Here is what happened:  Yesterday I had to leave at lunch to go to the dentist.  (Sounds like fun right?)  Well, I was getting the kids lined up for lunch and while they line up I have to run another student to the office to give him his meds each day.  (Our school nurse doesn't get there until after lunch.)



So I walk back into the room and one of the sweetest little boys in my classroom is standing mouth wide open and bug-eyed.  I ask him what is the matter and he stammers, "________ touched the ELF!"  I honestly thought this sweet boy was going to cry.  Well everyone heard what happened and I made a big deal about how I hoped Zack (our elf) would be o.k.  At that point, I had to take the kids to lunch.

I had to think fast once I got back to my classroom because I was leaving and didn't want my sub to have to deal with the fall out.  I made up this note and when the kids came back from lunch Zack was gone.


I asked some friends on Facebook last night what I should do, but I kind of had a plan in mind.  I really wanted to still use the elf, but wanted it definitely understood that no one could touch him again.

Today when the students arrived this is what they saw.


I made a big deal about how Zack was sick from what happened yesterday.  Zack left us this note.  (Thanks Krista for the cute frame!)


The kids ate this up!  They felt so bad for Zack.  It was truly priceless to see their reaction.

We write in our "Elf Journal" each day and it is really nothing fancy.  Here is one of my little kinder's journal entry for today.



Thankfully we also found this note from Santa.


We each got to take a pinch of medicine and sprinkle it on Zack.


This is what he looked like afterward.


I am pretty sure Zack will make a full recovery.  PTL!  Although, I did pull my special friend out in the hall and told him he is in no way shape or form allowed to touch the elf again.  I think after seeing everyone's reaction I don't have to worry about it.  :)

Have any of you ever had a student touch your elf?  How did you handle the situation?  I received a lot of great ideas, but this one worked best for me and my class.

11 comments

  1. This is my first year with an elf and so far, I have kept him up high to avoid wandering hands. But I love what you did when someone touched your elf - super cute idea!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a student touch our class elf but I mainly keep him up high. If I did, I probably would have handled it the same way with a cute note from Santa. The magic sprinkles was a nice touch though- I'll definitely have to keep that in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone has touched my elf already this year too! Some of those stinkers just can't resist. I love what you did with yours I will have to remember this in the future!

    Ashley
    K-3 Connection

    ReplyDelete
  4. You handled that so well Amanda! I will have to remember your approach if it happens to me. Love the magic sprinkles! :)

    ~Jessica
    Fun in PreK-1 & Kinder

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never done Elf on a Shelf but this was PERFECT!! I was totally eating it up too ;) Poor Zack! Lol!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well today, one of my cuties took the pen that our elf was holding in his arms out, but swears that they did not touch the actual elf. It was at the very end of the day and we had to load the bus. So, I had not decided how to handle it yet. I love this idea and think I will be doing this first thing in the morning, before my kiddos arrive. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. The kids in my son's class at his daycare touch theirs ALL THE TIME!!! The teacher had not done anything about it and I am afraid my son will stop believing he will lose his magic if touched :( We have one at home and my children never touch it! I told one of his teachers that they should make him disappear for a day or two, but they haven't done anything yet. he just keeps moving to a new spot every day :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had to write persuasive letters to Santa as to why we wanted Sparkles back and that we would not touch her again. I really like this one!!! Maybe next year if I have to...

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had to write persuasive letters to Santa as to why we wanted Sparkles back and that we would not touch her again. I really like this one!!! Maybe next year if I have to...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad I stumbled upon this. In 4 years of using an elf, I had a kid touch it for the first time yeasterday. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe you did that you shouldn't do that ever again

    ReplyDelete