Poem of the Week

Happy Saturday!  It has a busy one in the Pauley household.   I wanted to share our poem this week with all of you.

I have always used poetry in my classroom, but this year I am going to try to have one focus poem a week.  This was our first big "theme" for the year....NAMES!  We had a special poem for our first poem of the year.  (It is to the tune of "Are you Sleeping?")


We introduced our first "popcorn" words this week...I and a.  We read our poem/song a few times and then together found our popcorn word.  We talked a lot about what made each of us special and then the students each got a copy to put in their poetry journals.

They had to butter the popcorn words and illustrate their poem.  They did a great job.  Take a look.

She drew a picture of herself jumping rope.  LOVE!

This little pumpkin is picking a flower in her picture.  :)

Disclaimer:  I said the words "I" and "we", but really my student teacher taught this whole lesson.  :)  She is fabulous and did a wonderful job!

I have decided to have at least one focus poem a week.  We will probably read it each morning during calendar time, but I haven't decided 100% for sure yet.  

Would you like a copy of this poem for your students to use in their poetry journals?  Click on the image below to grab a free copy.  

I am off to relax because as I said it has been an extremely busy day and this momma is exhausted.  Have a great weekend!

8 comments

  1. What a cute poem! It's great to make sure each kid knows he/she is special! Have a great rest of your weekend!

    Becky
    Compassionate Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this sweet poem. I have a poem on my blog about flip flops but I don't know how to make it a freebie for others to print. Is there a tutorial somewhere? I love you blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandy-
      Up-load it in google docs and then create a link to it. Do you know how to do that? E-mail me and I'll help you :)

      Delete
  3. I love "buttering" the popcorn words! Thanks for the cute ideas!!

    The Cozy Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute cute! I love doing poetry in my classroom each week. They feel so accomplished when they can read it at the end of the week and it develops fluency (or "roller coaster" voice as I like to call it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Convince your student teacher to start a blog would you... *wink wink*

    ThePolishedTeacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Students must need to try every possible stance which is needed to be made and also there will be more prospects to be seen in this regard. re worder

    ReplyDelete