Nursery Rhyme Fun!

How many of my kindergarten teacher friends teach nursery rhymes?  It is amazing to me how many of my students come to kindergarten not knowing nursery rhymes.



Nursery Rhymes are so beneficeial to our students.  They are good for the brain!  They are great for fluency and rhyming.  Plus, let's be honest, they are just fun to say!

To supplement my nursery rhyme instruction, I created this Nursery Rhyme literacy unit.



Inside this unit, you will find activities for the following nursery rhymes:
~Humpty Dumpty
~Hey Diddle Diddle
~Itsy Bitsy Spider
~Jack & Jill
~Mary Had a Little Lamb
~Hickory Dickory Dock

I usually teach this unit early in my school year so I made some simple cut and paste sequencing activities.



There is also reading response sheets for each nursery rhyme.


Three simple and fun center activities are also included.  The all-time favorite in my classroom Read & Write the Room.


We work hard on beginning sounds at the beginning of the year (as well as fine motor skills) so Itsy Bitsy Beginning Sounds is perfect for both skills.


Since nursery rhymes have lots of rhyming, it is the perfect time to start to work on that skill with Nursery Rhyme Rhymes.  The students can play rhyming memory for this center.


Then they can record their work by completing a cut and paste activity.  I like to do a lot of cutting and pasting in the beginning of the year so my students can work on their fine motor skills.  Many of my students come in lacking scissor and gluing skills so this is great practice.


If you are interested in this low prep literacy unit, just click on the picture below to grab it from my TpT store!


SaveSave

1 comment

  1. Very interesting and informative blog and about the Learn Watercolor and I must appreciate your work well done keep it up.
    Learn Watercolor Painting

    ReplyDelete