Guided Reading Organization Bright Idea



It's almost time to head back to school and I have started preparing for the beginning of the year.  I love getting my room ready each year.  Do you??

One of my favorite areas to organize is my guided reading area.  I am going to show you my bright idea for guided reading organization



I use one of those multi-drawer carts and keep it next to my guided reading table.


My reading groups have animal names so each drawer has a picture of an animal on it.  The animal corresponds with the groups.  On top of the cart, I have my guided reading basket.

When I call over a group, say the monkey group, I just pull out the monkey drawer and it will have everything I need for that day's lesson.


This is typical contents of my drawer.



I like to keep my student's guided reading notebooks in the group drawer because it is one less item in their cubby.  I put the book for that day, any flashcards we may need, pointers, and pencils.  Having pencils in each drawer eliminates time wasted while students go back to their crayon boxes to get a pencil.  Plus, I also know that the pencil is sharp and ready to go so no time wasted on sharpening pencils either.

I also keep a guided reading basket next to my table with extra supplies that I may need or supplies I might need for multiple groups.


I keep my guided reading lesson plan binder, whiteboards, extra flashcards, dry erase markers, pointers, question cards, etc.  I love having everything I may need right at my fingertips.

How do you organize your guided reading materials?  Would something like this work for you?

If you enjoyed this bright idea, please consider joining me on Facebook or Instagram!



Check out some of these other bright ideas in our link up below!





8 comments

  1. Love seeing your organization! I have an extra multi-drawer cart and wasn't sure how to use it. Now I know to incorporate it for Guided Reading. Thanks so much!
    Learning at the Teacher Table

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those drawer carts! I so think I need to get one! Thanks for the great tips!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! Love your cart ideas! Do you have those labels in a packet? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have those labels posted yet. I am still debating on which labels I want to create for my students' notebooks this year. Once I decide, I will be posting them as a freebie here on the blog. Thanks for the great question. :)

      Delete
  4. LOVE THIS! I so need help in this area!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you've organized your guided reading materials!
    Connie Anderson
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. After putting some effective concerning ideas we have almost gone through the best probable opinions which are needed to be made in this regard and we would also be able to put more effective reading afterward. punctuation corrector

    ReplyDelete