Peek at My Week: Arctic Animals

It is Sunday again which means I am busy finishing to prepare for our first week of Arctic Animals.

Right now, my class is really needing some work with sight words and CVC words so that is the biggest part of my literacy centers this week.

We will be focusing our literacy and science time this week on arctic animals.  The first part of the week will be penguins and then we will learn about walruses and possibly polar bears too if time allows.

For writing, we are using Lucy Calkin's Units of Study program.  We are taking two days for each lesson because, well, that is what my students need.

In Math, I am using Deanna and Deedee's awesome Math Units.  I am loving the flow of these and my students are learning so much!

Without further ado, here are my plans.



My students were struggling with sight words so I created a year's worth of sight word games.  The best part???  It's the same game (based on the "Crash" game), but with 14 different themes.  I teach the students the game and then they are able to play all year long.  Once they master a set of sight words, I just switch out the words with new ones.  I love how it creates a sense of independence because they can play it by themselves, but the best part.....they love the game and it helps encourage them to learn their sight words.



If you are interested in any of these products, just click on the image.  I hope you have an amazing week.  I am just hoping we get to have school all five days.  Last week, we had one day that school was cancelled and all the other days I had about 1/4 of my class gone each day due to the weather.

I am ready to get back into a normal routine as I know my students are too.





4 comments

  1. The sight word games look great! I see that you have computer lab every day. That is fantastic! We also have an early release on Wednesday, I thought we were the only ones! Thanks for sharing your plans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have an early release on Wed. also. I love the sight word game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering how do you play the game crash. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I posted a tutorial on the game. Here is the link: http://mrspauleyskindergarten.blogspot.com/2015/01/lets-play-sight-word-game.html

      Delete